Sunday, July 10, 2011

Martyr

My dark master, a phantom heart
you always were
and I so desperately ran around chasing the shadows
that are your love.

I was engulfed by the sea
a baptism against my skin--
kissed by its salt.

And wide eyed I stared into the hovering sky,
enraptured by an ageless grief
as the cool of the deep pulled at my feet.

Defeated, I sank to the ocean floor.
For many years my tears were my only source of oxygen,
and I could barely breathe,
and on my knees, 
I silently begged for your mercy with my eyes.

I carried the cross for you as best as I could--
I'm more than positive I loved you far more than I should,
but it was only here where you ever received your glory.

You always knew your power over me,
and your heart became fuller with each tear that I wept.
I was enslaved for so long
staying only for the hope of my freedom,
a freedom I defined as your love.

When you stabbed me I did my best to keep a gentle smile.
When you burned me I refused it to let our love defile.

But I was always on my knees,
and I wept a dream-sized ocean.

Down, down, down.
I was unwillingly forced to submerge,
and the soul and love inside of me purged--
and now I am a purple, lifeless body
floating on the gentle movements of the sea 
with your cross still resting safely on my back.

No comments:

Post a Comment