Saturday, July 2, 2011

The Day at the Lake

The most painful memory I have of us
is the day we spent at the lake.
The sun shined so brightly that day
my recollections I can barely take.

The night before we had made our immaculate love
that morning we had ventured out to see
the lake and the beauties of the day
but you were all that was beautiful to me.

We bathed in the waters under the blue sky,
and you held me in what was our personal sea!
My heart had never been so beyond full
and this nourishment was a gift you'd given me.

I wished I had never been so cruel-
I hate that we argued that day at the lake.
I would cut my tongue out of my mouth if there again;
I would sow my mouth shut for love's sake

And the pictures we took with our eyes lively glowing
were tokens of my most painful memory of you and me,
and though such symbols of a love I cannot replace-
they are keepsakes I can't allow my eyes to see

I can still smell the scent of the summer day's air,
I can still see the sunlight across your face-
I can still feel the softness of your arms,
I can still experience this memory as grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment