Friday, September 23, 2011

The Miracle

Life and its bastard 'trials'. Why is it every time you finally think you're strong enough to live with misery, right at that exact time that you finally resign yourself to living with your pain or your problem, right when you accept that this pain or this problem just might be a significant part of your existence in its totality, that suddenly SOMETHING comes along and changes all of that?!

These things one cannot predict. Perhaps you can predict their coming, but never the moment of their arrival. It's like waiting on a friend that is running seriously late. They said they would be here, but it's getting very late: 

"Are they sure they are coming? Did something happen to them along the way? Ok. Maybe they aren't coming. That's it. They are not coming. Sigh. Oh well. It's okay. I really wish they could have made it, though. It would have really transformed the entire evening. But that's life. I probably didn't need company tonight anyway. No, no, I didn't need company. See? Now I can do this, and I can do that, and this. That's what I'm going to do. Yeah, that's it. But wait! What's that!? The doorbell! They ARE here! They HAVE arrived after all!"

Waiting on the miracle to come can be a lot like that. The hope. The uncertainty. The doubt. The resignation. The acceptance. And then? Well. The miracle comes.

Now I know it's quite a character flaw, but very few things make me genuinely smile when I am alone with my thoughts. It is when I have these moments--these authentic, grand smiles in the quiet and lonesomeness of my space--that I know that no matter how dismal the world can seem at times, it isn't pointless to have hope. 

For some of us the world can be an infinite field with only a few flowers. The important thing to remember is that the flowers are indeed there. Instead of being upset that our fields are so empty and lifeless, we should be grateful for the contrast we get when we encounter these flowers. For it is, for us, a wondrous gift to be able to never take a single flower for granted, to be able to see all of its rich colours, to smell the intensity of such a rare fragrance, to touch the fragility of such perfect petals. We take great pride in caring for our flowers because they are not many and do not come often. We never take them for granted, and from our hearts, for our flowers, we become the sun.

And for some of us...

...that is nothing short of a miracle.


3 comments:

  1. Have I told you recently that you write so well, so clearly, so honestly?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think so. In fact, I know so. And thank you. I wish my voice could communicate as clearly as my thoughts...if that even makes sense... ;-)

    ReplyDelete