Friday, September 16, 2011

Dear Lord, Karla.

No matter how many times I tell myself that I'll "never be hungover at work ever again", I keep finding myself crawling into the office slightly disheveled and feeling a little rough. I hang my jacket and scarf, turn on my computer at my desk, and then do my best to sink down into my chair so as to hide myself behind my screen. It's on these days that I break my 'no coffee' rule, and I sit with a cappuccino and eat some sort of pastry. "Is it inappropriate to wear sunglasses inside the office?" I find myself wondering. I then realize that my hooded sweatshirt complimented with wearing sunglasses indoors just might give off a bit more of that unibomber look than I would want. Particularly in the office.

I wish I didn't bore so easily. I drink mostly out of boredom. And to relieve anxiety.

Yes. I know. I shouldn't do that. But if people always did what they should, think what a catastrophic effect it would have had on art. We can't have that, now can we? So you see? I'm doing it for the art of the world. Settled.

Office anxiety is really quite discomforting. Especially because I can't drink on the job. So being hungover at work is just a barrage of anxiety that I really wish I'd stop signing on for. It just leads to blank conversations, a heightened sense of hearing (and being irritated by nearly every sound), and compulsive clock-watching. Most importantly, it even interferes with my youtubing. Joke.

So as I throw back this orange juice that I desperately need, and try to restore some order to the island in upheaval that is my desk, I can't help but repeatedly hear my own voice in my head saying:

"Dear Lord, Karla!"


No comments:

Post a Comment